TWC2’s work and migrant worker issues as covered by the media

11 04, 2016

Provide more public spaces for foreign workers within Little India – Debbie Fordyce

2019-08-30T16:32:03+08:00April 11th, 2016|Media Coverage, News, Our Stand|

In response to member of parliament Denise Phua's call on the government to fence off residents' areas from foreign workers and do more to disperse them from Little India (see News Flash), TWC2 executive committee member Debbie Fordyce wrote to the Straits Times. Her letter was published 11 April 2016: --- Provide more public spaces

10 11, 2015

A Singapore company at the heart of fisherman trafficking — New York Times

2019-08-30T16:32:23+08:00November 10th, 2015|Media Coverage, News, Our Stand|

The New York Times has an exposé on Step Up Marine, a manning agency operating out of Singapore's Chinatown, and its network of recruiters in neighbouring countries. Young men are deceived and entrapped into horrendously abusive jobs on fishing trawlers, including Eril Andrade who died at sea. Court papers in the Philippines point the finger clearly

25 07, 2015

Cleaners found living in bin centres

2019-08-30T16:32:26+08:00July 25th, 2015|Media Coverage, News|

The Straits Times carried a feature report 18 July 2015 about Bangladeshi estate cleaners living in trash collection centres, commonly referred to as 'bin centres'. Reporters visited eight such places across the island. The news story can be found by clicking the thumbnail below: Among the bin centres visited by the newspaper were two within

17 06, 2015

Ensure pay is banked, offer (job) mobility

2019-08-30T16:32:29+08:00June 17th, 2015|Media Coverage, News, Our Stand|

Published in the Straits Times Forum, 17 June 2015: --- FOREIGN WORKERS' WAGE WOES Ensure pay is banked, offer mobility Sunday's report ("More foreign workers seek help over wage woes") mentioned that the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will be making it mandatory for employers to issue itemised payslips next year. Transient Workers Count Too (TWC2)

14 06, 2015

Today newspaper reports on our ‘day off’ findings

2019-08-30T16:32:30+08:00June 14th, 2015|Media Coverage, News|

Today newspaper devoted a full page to our newly-released research report on weekly day off for domestic workers. Of the 195 respondents surveyed by the non-governmental organisation from July 2013 to October last year, only 41 per cent said they had four rest days each month. Close to a quarter said they got either one

21 04, 2015

Kickbacks in the news: MWC urges workers to complain; reader retorts: “unlikely to work”

2019-08-30T16:32:33+08:00April 21st, 2015|Media Coverage, News, Our Stand|

In the wake of the sentencing of a construction company boss for demanding kickbacks from his employees (see news story in Today newspaper, thumbnail at right), the Straits Times had a story about his unsavoury practice on 13 April 2015. The Straits Times noted that extortionate demands are typically made when the worker is most

20 04, 2015

BBC features a 17,000-man dormitory

2019-08-30T16:32:33+08:00April 20th, 2015|Media Coverage, News, News Flash|

Headlined Singapore is keeping an eye on its foreign workers, the BBC did a report (14 April 2015) on Tuas View Dormitory, said to be the largest in Singapore, housing 17,000 migrant workers. While showcasing its facilities, it also discusses the surveillance system incorporated into its design and operations. The question of its location, at

1 04, 2015

In the news: bad food served to workers

2019-08-30T16:32:52+08:00April 1st, 2015|Media Coverage, News, News Flash|

"Foul-smelling curry, rock-solid fish with scales still intact..." -- this was how Today newspaper opened its story (titled "Foreign workers served 'unappetising, stale food'", 19 March 2015) on the poor quality of food that foreign workers get. The story referred primarily to male workers at construction sites. Based on an on-going survey by researchers from

20 03, 2015

Acting on a tip-off, TWC2 rescues a maid trapped over two years without a day off, part 2

2019-08-30T16:32:53+08:00March 20th, 2015|Articles, Media Coverage, News, Stories|

The Ministry of Manpower has accused TWC2 of publishing a "grossly untruthful account" relating to Indonesian domestic worker Wahyuni (see our earlier article here). This quote was contained in a story published in The New Paper on 8 March 2015 and archived on AsiaOne. See here and here. Transient Workers Count Too stands by our story

Go to Top