Rezzie and Sumon in happier times. Photo from Facebook

Rezzilyn Lodia Vinegas, 33, and Mohamad Sumon Lutfar, 22, were found dead with severe slash wounds on Sunday night (March 4, 2012). Their bodies, with injuries to the throat and arms, were found by a hotel worker about five and a half hours after they checked in together into the inn, located in Geylang district — and area known for short-time rooms. The police were called and a knife was recovered from the scene.

Next door rooms were occupied by other guests, but they reported not hearing any noises.

She was from the Philippines, working here as a domestic worke,r while he was from Bangladesh.

According to the Straits Times,

Friends of Ms Vinegas said she was from Ilocos province in the Philippines, and that she was married with three children and had worked for her employer for about a year.

Known to friends and family as ‘Rezzie’, she would often go on excursions with her friends on Sundays. But after meeting Mr Sumon around August last year, she met them less often. Her friends also said that the pair had been quarrelling often, and that Ms Vinegas was considering ending the relationship.

Ms Vinegas had more than 1,600 friends on social networking site Facebook, which she updated regularly with pictures of herself and her friends. One photo shows her with Mr Sumon at a public swimming pool.


Mr Sumon’s colleagues, who lived in the same room as him, said his behaviour had been unusual before his death on Sunday – he had woken up early in the morning, and made himself fried eggs with rice. He then went to the mosque, something they said he had never done before. He was said to have had many Indonesian and Filipino girlfriends.

He was single, and had been working here for about four years. He last worked for an air-conditioning company.

— Straits Times, 6 March 2012, Pair found dead in Geylang hotel, by Elizabeth Soh & Jalelah Abu Baker

Transient Workers Count Too extends our condolences to both their families.