Tay Kok Eng. Photo credit: Straits Times

Employer Tay Kok Eng, 56, admitted to a court that he dumped a severely injured worker on the roadside where the man eventually died. He did this despite two doctors having earlier advised Tay to take the worker Chelladurai Lenin, 47, to a hospital.

The court hearing was reported in the Straits Times on 31 August 2012 and in the New Paper on 30 July 2012.

Tay had employed Chelladurai as a general worker from August 2009 to March 2010, even though he would have had reason to believe that Chelladurai was an illegal immigrant. While changing lobby ceiling lights at a condominium on 30 March 2010, the Indian national fell 2.8m from a ladder and suffered head and leg injuries. Blood oozed from his mouth. The worker also complained of pain in a leg, and vomited.

According to the Straits Times, the worker refused Tay’s offer to take him to hospital, because he was afraid his forged work permit would be found out, though how that is known is uncertain, since the worker is now dead.

Tay took the worker to a clinic in Tampines where the doctor said he should be taken to a hospital immediately. Tay then called Chelladurai’s friend (not named in the news story) and they took Chelladurai to a clinic in Hougang. The doctor there too told Tay the man should be admitted to hospital. By then Chelladurai was unable to walk and losing consciousness.

After placing Mr Chelladurai in the back of his van, Tay drove to Changi and with the help of the friend, left the dying man on the pavement. Using the worker’s mobile phone, a call was placed to emergency number 995 and Tay, speaking into the phone, told emergency officers that he had seen somebody lying along Upper Changi Road East.

By the time the paramedics arrived, Tay and his helper were no longer at the scene. Chelladurai was already dead.

According to the New Paper, Tay pleaded guilty to three charges: Of employing an illegal foreign worker, failing to ensure a safe work method and depositing the dying Mr Chelladurai on the pavement.

The hearing for sentencing is scheduled for August.

See Our Stand: Dumping an injured worker is “reprehensible behaviour”